Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Project 9


As with project 8, I wanted to 3 dimensionally model the individual forms from the 2 dimensional pattern. I derived the 3 dimensional objects from the lines and focus of the pattern itself. For example the green star pattern forms curving lines that intersect with each other along the way. They also create a circle pattern that narrows in on itself towards the center or expands outward depending on how you see it. These observations brought me to my last project. For the physical representation, I wanted to emphasize something that I see in the two dimensional pattern that I would be able to create in a physical model: motion.

As I view that pattern, I feel pulled into the image. I also see the star form moving along its curved linear path. My intent was to recreate this feeling, and to also make a more literal representation of the motion. I chose to use the extruded difference in circular forms to create a cone that would act as the base for supporting the rest of the model in motion. I wanted to allow for the curved lines to be able to actually spin as I see them in the 2D pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment